Liverpool hosted Arsenal on a freezing evening at the Select Securities Stadium as the two team wrapped up a WSL season in an 8 goal thriller in front of 1,159 supporters.

Liverpool started brightly and could have led early on when Ashley Hodson was released through on goal but she dragged her effort wide inside the first minute. Arsenal should have led on 9 minutes when a superb passing move opened Liverpool up before a superb cross from their left hand side found Jodie Taylor unmarked in the penalty area but she headed over a golden chance.

Arsenal’s miss was punished by Liverpool who took the lead through Satara Murray on 17 minutes when he cross from deep on the right hand side sailed over the head of Sari van Veenendaal into inside the post at the far corner.

The goal stirred life into Arsenal and they levelled six minutes later when Danielle Carter was allowed to advance towards goal and unleashed an unstoppable rocket into the top left hand corner. On 26 minutes Arsenal led as Carter repeated her feat as, again, Liverpool allowed her far too much space, and she drilled a bouncing effort low into the bottom right hand corner over Siobhan Chamberlain.

Both teams exchanged chances for further goals before the break with Tash Harding failing to convert a superb low cross along the six yard line and Arsenal seeing a set piece cleared off the line.

In the second half it was the impressive Jordan Nobbs who emulated Carter’s two first half effort as she rifled in a screamer from 25 yards out on 57 minute to extend Arsenal’s lead. However Liverpool responded and pulled a goal back three minutes later when a superb through ball released substitute Shanice Van de Sanden and the Dutch international rolled her effort into the bottom left hand corner.

Suddenly it was Liverpool in command and they had two amazing efforts to level when Rosie White’s lob was superbly saved by the finger tips of van Veenendaal before an outstanding cross field pass from Katie Zelem found Van de Sanden again on the right but her shot fired into the side netting at the near post.

Arsenal capitalised and it made it 4-2 on 74 minutes when Asisat Oshoala turned at the edge of the penalty area and unleashed a superb cross along the six yard box into the part of Chloe Kelly who drilled it into the net under Chamberlain.

The points were wrapped up in stoppage time as Oshoala got her goal against her former club as she raced through one-on-one before finishing coolly. Liverpool didn’t give in and they pulled back another goal in stoppage time as Caroline Weir made it 5-3 with an emphatic finish.

After the match Danielle Carter told; “We obviously wanted to sign off this campaign with a win and, despite conceding three goals, we’ve done it. We’re all happy with that,”

“It has been up and down this season, but we needed to finish on a high so that, going into next season, we have that bit of confidence.

“As a club now we have to keep working hard. We know what we need to do, we need to go away, recoup in the winter and then come back stronger.

Player of the Match: Danielle Carter (Arsenal)